Friday, February 27, 2015

No Fry Salmon Patties with Spicy Corn

No Fry Salmon Patties with a Spicy Corn side dish

Yesterday I made three pizzas, one which had salmon as a topping. Fish is not a regular staple in my diet. Although I am told it is good for multiple reasons. Firstly, this is a very good source of lean protein. It has omega 3 fatty acids. <--Um what is that?? My doctor also suggested that adding more of those into my diet would help my arthritis in my elbow, so maybe I should try to eat more fish? The corn/Jalapeños did not turn out exactly how I thought it would, but it was still pretty good!
Except I didn't end up eating the corn with chips :p

Utensils needed:
Glass Baking Dish
Bowl
Wooden Spoon
Pizza pans
Fork

Ingredients for Spicy Corn:
1 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
Dash of Tabasco
2 Jalapeños, Seeded and Minced
2 Cans Sweet Corn, Drained
1/2 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 Cup Cheddar cheese

Ingredients for Salmon Patties:
14.5 ounce can of salmon
2 eggs
1/4 Cup Bread Crumbs
1/4 Cup Potato Flakes
1 Clove Garlic, Minced
Fresh Dill
1/4 Teaspoon Celery Salt

I think the spicy corn was supposed to be more of a dip, but mine turned out almost like a side dish. It was actually really good!
I think adding this much
yogurt is what made it thinner
1/2 teaspoon chilipowder

Spicy Corn Recipe:
Since the Spicy Corn takes longer to cook I started that first. Preheat the
oven to 420 Degrees.
 In a bowl mix 1 cup of Greek Yogurt with the seasonings. 

First add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. Followed by 1 teaspoon of onion powder. Then 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Lastly you will want to add a dash or two of Tabasco sauce!

Next you need to make sure to drain the corn as best as you can, and slowly fold it in to the mix.
Make sure to drain the water completely out
My favorite and not so favorite part came next. I got to cut the jalapeños up. First you need to cut the main vein that the seeds connect to in the pepper. Then mince it!! 
Veined and Seeded
It was my favorite part because I love the smell, but I also itched my eye shortly after cutting them, and burned my eye. Always remember to wash your hands after garlic and jalapeños!!
2 Jalapeños, deseeded and minced
The next and final step in making the spicy corn, you want to add two kinds of cheese. I used half of what the original recipe called for. 1/2 cup monterey jack and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
1/2 cup of both cheddar and monterey jack
Fold it all together and place in a baking dish. I waited a few minutes before throwing it in the oven despite the oven beeping that it is ready.

Salmon Patty Recipe:

Grab your salmon in a can and open it up. I gotta be honest, I really dislike fish and as soon as I dumped that can out, it smelled of instant fish, or maybe it reminded me of the river we used to fish in with my dad..hmm… anyway fluff that fish up with a fork. Since I had a little bit of fresh salmon left over from yesterdays salmon pizza, I shredded that up and threw it in with the canned.
14.5 ounce can of salmon

2 eggs
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Next add two eggs, this will help everything stick together. Then add 1/4 cup of your favorite breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup potato flakes, this will add some density also helping as a sticking agent.

1/4 cup potato flakes
1 teaspoon garlic
Bunch of fresh Dill

Next on the list, seasonings!! It calls for dried, but I cut up fresh since I had some of both left. I wonder why my mom never turned me on to fresh seasonings. I cut up a bunch of dill and added about a teaspoon of minced garlic. Final step is to add 1/4 teaspoon celery salt.
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
My salmon patties




Mix all of this together. Once you get a good consistency, either create two inch balls and smooth those to flat patties, or grab some salmon mix like you are making a hamburger. I got about 8 patties out of this recipe, with a few being a bit on the small side.






Now put both foods in the oven for about 17 minutes. Give or take a few minutes. We have always eaten salmon patties with either ketchup or tarter sauce! After that beeper goes off prepare to eat some yumtastic, heart healthy food!

YAMM BAMM THANK YOU MA'AM! This food is ready to devour! No frying makes this recipe even more heart healthy!! The spicy corn was more of a side dish vs. a dip! Still really good and has a good zip to the bite!


4 comments: